Annual Conference 2020
Transportation and Accommodations
April 17-18, 2020
Willamette University, Salem, Oregon
If you fly:
Groome Transportation provides the shuttle services between PDX and Salem (Salem Airport), and between EUG (Eugene Airport) and Salem (Salem Airport). Schedule and Fare are posted at this website: https://groometransportation.com/portland-airport/salem/
We strongly suggest making reservations. If you have to book a flight at an unusual arrival hour, contact us so we will try to help. The Salem Airport (2990 25th St SE, Salem, OR 97309) is about 2.5 miles southeast of Willamette University.
Limited services are also available via Greyhound Bus/AmtrackTrain from Portland/Eugene to Salem (Salem Train Station is just two minutes walking from the Conference building), but first check to see if the schedule works for you.
If you drive:
- Set the GPS address to: 900 State Street, Salem, Oregon 97301, or to the hotel you have reserved.
- Parking at Willamette University (900 State St., Salem, OR 97301):
Guest Parking is limited. If you need to park on campus, please contact the conference organizer. There are many metered parking spaces around the campus. Visitors may purchase a one-day permit if space is available. Cost: $5, or $3 after noon.
Conference rooms are at the center of the campus: Putnam University Center (Building #36 on the map). Detailed Program will be available in due time. Visit the Interactive Campus Map (and pdf file) for detailed information.
Hotels near Willamette University:
Note: the bus service is not very convenient. If you stay beyond walking distance, Uber service is available.
Hotel names in blue have a hyperlink to take you to the website.
The Grand Hotel
201 Liberty St. SE
Salem, Oregon 97301
Visit the website or call 503-540-7800 or 1-877-540-7800
- The best in Salem, suggested for funded participants, less than half mile from the campus. A block of Deluxe King rooms with a rate of $149 (plus tax and fees) has been reserved for our use. When you call the hotel, reference “Western Folklore Conference” to receive the group rate. Reservations must be made by March 16, 2020. After that date, any rooms not reserved will be released to the general room inventory.
Hampton Inn and Suites
510 Hawthorne Ave. SE
Salem, OR 97301
Visit the website or call 503-362-1300 or 1-866-460-7456
- Two miles from the campus. Make reservation online or by calling
Knight's Inn (Motel)
1555 State St.
Salem, OR 97301
Call 503-581-2466 or 866-471-9912
- Ten min. walking distance; suggested for those seeking economical accommodations
Howard Johnson by Wyndham Salem
2250 Mission St. SE
Salem, OR 97302
Call 503-375-7710 or 877-375-7710
- Easy access to downtown, Willamette University, I-5, hospital, fairgrounds. Wi-Fi, continental breakfast, coffee maker and other amenities. Limited pet-friendly rooms. Make yourself at home away from home.
LaQuinta Inn & Suites
890 Hawthorne Ave. SE
Salem, Oregon 97301
Phoenix Inn Suites - Salem
4370 Commercial St. SE
Salem, Oregon 97302
Call 503-588-9220 or 800-445-4498
For other places you can stay during the Conference, visit Travel Salem.
Eateries on and around Willamette University campus: The major campus dining facility, Goudy Commons, is open to visitors (cash only). And there are many places to get a variety of foods within walking distance. More information will be available soon.
Please check this page again for further information as it develops.